QUOTES ON TOP

“I want something really worthwhile to live for. I want to invest this one life of mine as wisely as possible, in the place that yields the richest profits to the world and me…wherever it is, I want it to be God’s choice for me and not my own… Christ said, “He that would find his life shall lose it” and proved the truth of this divine paradox at Calvary. I want Him to lead me and His Holy Spirit to fill me.” – Betty Stam

Sunday, May 25, 2014

BOOK REVIEW - 9 (GIFTED HANDS BY BEN CARSON)




Few years back someone gave me a movie named ‘Gifted Hands’ and told me to watch that movie without fail. I was told that the movie will be good. Usually from my teen age my mother advised me not to watch any secular movies. Since I was told that the movie is based on a real story and Christian faith, I watched that movie. 

The movie was about the life of Dr. Ben Carson, world famous neurosurgeon. His life story was so inspirational to me. I loved the way God lifted him high though his father abandoned his family at his childhood. After few days I came to know that Dr. Ben Carson itself had wrote his autobiography named ‘Gifted Hands’. I wanted to buy that book but then I thought the story will be the same as seen in the movie. So I didn’t thought about it again.

Few months before I came across the book in an online book store and I thought I will buy it and read. As I started reading, I found that the book was far more interesting and challenging than the movie. In the book, Dr. Carson openly acknowledge the grace of Jesus Christ and His guidance. 

“That morning the pastor had selected “He Hideth My Soul in the Cleft of the Rock.” He built his appeal around the missionary story and explained our need to flee to “the cleft of the Rock,” to safety found only in Jesus Christ. “If we place our faith in the Lord,” he said as his gaze swept across the faces in the congregation, “we will always be safe. Safe in Jesus Christ.” As I listened, my imagination pictured how wonderfully God had taken care of those people who wanted to serve Him. Through my imagination and emotions I lived that story with the couple, and I thought, That’s exactly what I should do-get sheltered in the cleft of the rock.”

Dr. Carson shared about the troubles that he faced from others in his childhood and also the struggles he had within his mind and how he overcame everything through prayer. 

“Lack of money constantly troubled me during my college years. Once I had absolutely no money-not even enough to ride the bus back and forth to church. That day I walked across the campus alone, bewailing my situation, tired of never having enough money to by the everyday things I needed; the simple things like toothpaste or stamps. “Lord,” I prayed, “Please help me. At least give me bus fare to go to church.” Although I’d been walking aimlessly... I looked down. A ten dollar bill lay crumpled on the ground three feet in front of me. “Thank You, God,” I said as I picked it up, hardly able to believe that I had the money in my hand.”

He also shared about how God helped him to do so many risk surgeries with a successful outcome. As he shared so many incidents that happened in his family and in his workplace, with clarity he also shared how he overcame all the troubles and how he faced joy and success. 

One thing I really understood is the way he dedicated himself to his profession and how he worked hard to reach the plan that God has in store for him. Once when I finished reading the book I really felt that I never gave much importance to my profession and I learnt that I have to dedicate myself to do the work God has given to me in profession and also in Ministry with so much of sincerity and commitment. 

If you are a young adult wanted to achieve something in your life, I strongly recommend this book to you. The life story of Dr. Ben Carson will inspire you, challenge you, will make you think big and will take you a step closer to Jesus Christ. This book is an interesting book to read and surely God will encourage you through this book. God bless you.

(Note: The words in Italics were directly taken from the book)

No comments:

Post a Comment