QUOTES ON TOP

“I want something really worthwhile to live for. I want to invest this one life of mine as wisely as possible, in the place that yields the richest profits to the world and me…wherever it is, I want it to be God’s choice for me and not my own… Christ said, “He that would find his life shall lose it” and proved the truth of this divine paradox at Calvary. I want Him to lead me and His Holy Spirit to fill me.” – Betty Stam

Monday, September 25, 2017

GHG SHORT DEVOTIONALS - 26 (MAKE A VOW EVEN AFTER YOU RECEIVE A BLESSING)



In the book of Jonah we read about two different situations in which vows were made.

1. IN THE MOMENT OF DISTRESS

Jonah 2:9  "...I will pay what I have vowed..."

Jonah was in distress. As he went away against the word of God, he was thrown into the sea and ended up in the belly of fish. From there he prays to God that he will pay what he have vowed. He made a vow in distress and he prayed that he will fulfill it.

As we read in Judges chapter 11, Jephthah made a vow as he faced the army of Ammon. 

Many a times even in our lives as we go through troubles and problems, we make a vow to God seeking His help to come out of the troubled situations. 

But then in Jonah we read about a certain group of people who did a wonderful thing.

2.  IN THE MOMENT OF JOY AND SAFETY

Jonah 1:16  Then the men feared the Lord exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice to the Lord and took vows.

On a particular day the mariners got into huge problem because of Jonah. They faced a life threatening situation. But then when they threw Jonah into the sea, their problem immediately ended. They knew that they were safe. God never expected anything from them and even if they would have gone on their way simply nothing would have happened against them.

But then those mariners did a wonderful thing. As they were Gentiles, they trembled and feared God. Then they made a vow. 

Have we ever made a vow for the goodness and blessings that we received from God? Let's also make vows in His presence and honor God when we receive goodness from His hands. God bless you.

#GHG SHORT DEVOTIONS

No comments:

Post a Comment