QUOTES ON TOP

“I want something really worthwhile to live for. I want to invest this one life of mine as wisely as possible, in the place that yields the richest profits to the world and me…wherever it is, I want it to be God’s choice for me and not my own… Christ said, “He that would find his life shall lose it” and proved the truth of this divine paradox at Calvary. I want Him to lead me and His Holy Spirit to fill me.” – Betty Stam

Friday, September 21, 2012

LAY ASIDE YOUR DESIRE FOR GOD (PASSAGE TAKEN FROM A SPIRITUAL BOOK - SHORT BIOGRAPHY OF WATCHMAN NEE)

“During that time,” continued Watchman in telling the story of his salvation, “I felt I would not be effective in work without the power of the Holy Spirit. I must carefully deal with this problem before God. I needed to seek the power of the Holy Spirit. So I went again to my spiritual sister, Miss Barber, for counsel. I told her that there were few people getting saved in my community. Did I need to receive the power of the Holy Spirit or to be filled with the Holy Spirit in order to win more souls? Her answer was yes. At that time I was very young and ignorant concerning spiritual things. I knew God had already saved me and had also called me. Though I had not yet gained complete victory, I had laid aside many improper things in my life. I further inquired of her if she had any way or method by which to be filled with the Holy Spirit. She replied that I must consecrate myself to God. I said to her that I had already consecrated myself to Him, but that I still saw my own self. How could I consecrate more? Her answer was that I must ask God to accept my consecration just as I would have asked people to accept my gift. As I continued to ask how, she told me a story:

“‘Mr. Prigin was a brilliant young man. While he was pastoring a church he was at the same time studying for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. Two months before the final oral examination, having already been assured by his professors that he would have no trouble passing it, he was challenged by God to lay aside his ambition. For some time he had been asking God to fill him with the Holy Spirit because he was conscious of his unsatisfactory spiritual life as well as of his lack of power. He attempted to argue with the Lord by suggesting how much more glorious for Him to be served by a Doctor of Philosophy; the Lord showed him, however, that He had no such need. If he really wanted to be filled with the Holy Spirit he must not take the examination. He was perplexed. He agonized over this issue for two months, till the very Saturday before his examination was to occur on the following Monday, and while he as usual was once more waiting before the Lord for the message he was to give on the Lord’s Day. He was still troubled by this inner struggle. In desperation he finally yielded to the Lord and notified the school authorities that he would not come for the final examination. Yet he had been left so exhausted that he could not prepare for the message for the next day. Upon mounting the pulpit the next day to preach he simply told the congregation the story of what had just happened to him. There was not a dry eye in the whole congregation. He became a man greatly used by God.”

“After I heard this story,” continued Watchman at the 1936 Kulongsu Conference, “I told the Lord that I was willing to set aside all hindrances to my receiving the power of the Holy Spirit. Between the years 1920 and 1922 I had confessed my sins and had apologized to at least two to three hundred people. I reckoned that each single sin was an obstacle. If I could get rid of all these sins, I would surely receive power. Nevertheless, having done all this I still did not receive power. 

“By January of 1922 there was already a small gathering of the Lord’s people at ‘Tze Yuan’ [‘Tze Garden’]. I remembered one day that I was going to have to preach that very day. So I opened my Bible, trying to find a suitable subject. I happened to read Psalm 73, verse 25, which states: ‘Whom have I in heaven but thee? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides thee.’ Upon reading it, I confessed that I could not say these words as the psalmist had said. At the time I knew that there was something hindering the relationship between me and God. For over ten years I had had deep affections for Charity (Charity Chang was Watchman’s schooldays sweetheart). She was not saved at that time. I tried to preach the gospel to her, but she always laughed at me. We truly loved each other. I let her laugh at the Lord Jesus whom I preached. In my heart she always occupied a very large place. I had frequently asked myself if I should continue to let her occupy such a place in my heart. We all know that when a young man is in love, it is most difficult for him to lay it aside. Although with my lips I said to God that I was willing to lay her aside, in my heart I was unwilling to do so. I now read that verse in the Psalms again. I could honestly confess that I could not lay her aside. During that entire week I could not say, ‘Whom have I in heaven but thee? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides thee’ The Spirit of God had put His finger on this very issue as the hindrance to my being filled with the Holy Spirit. On that particular day I still went to preach, though I did not know what I was preaching about.

“Later on, I began to reason with God. I asked Him to give me power first, and then I would lay her aside. But God never reasons with men. In my youthfulness I promised God many things: I would go to Tibet to preach the gospel; I promised Him I would do this and that; but God would not listen. His finger persistently pointed at this girl friend as my obstacle. No matter how I prayed, I could not get through. My heart was really heavy. I even begged God to change His heart. But no, He insisted on my dealing with this matter. It was as though there was a piercing of my heart with a sharp sword. God wanted me to learn a deeper lesson; otherwise I would be of no use in His hand.

“On yet another day I preached in the morning. In the afternoon I was in my room under great heaviness of heart. I told God that since I would be going back to school the next Monday I wanted Him to fill me with the love of Christ. I was now ready to lay aside my lover. The love of Christ had so constrained me that I was determined to put her aside. With this decision made I could say from my heart the words of Psalm 73.25. My inside was filled with unspeakable joy. Even though I had not ascended to the third heaven, I could say I had been to the second heaven, so happy and full of joy was I. The world now became insignificant to me. I felt as though I were floating on a cloud. On the night when I was saved, the burden of my sins had been rolled away. On this day (13 February 1922), all obstacles in my heart had been removed. Not long afterwards many people were saved.”

No comments:

Post a Comment